Frequently Asked Questions

1. Do I have to have a license if I'm not practicing as an Athletic Trainer?

You do not need a license if you are not practicing Athletic Training or holding yourself out to the public as an Athletic Trainer. However, you will need a license immediately if you begin to practice as an Athletic Trainer in the State of Nevada. The process can take up to 2 months to receive the results of fingerprint background checks, so it is crucial to plan ahead.

    2. If I’m licensed as a professional in another field do I need a license to practice athletic training?

    Yes. If you work in name or action as an Athletic Trainer, you will need a license.

      3. Why are the fees so high?

      The fee of $300 for an initial application for a license was set to assist the Board in the start up costs of starting everything from scratch. The Board is funded through fees collected from Licensed Athletic Trainers and does not receive funds from the State General Fund. You may refer to NRS 640B to review the fee schedule.

        4. When will I receive my license?

        When the Board Office has received your completed application, fees, photo, signed copy of BOC card, AND background check results, you should receive your license provided there is no problem with your application.

          5. Common problems found in the application process include:

          • Not completing all three (3) pages
          • Not having application waiver notarized
          • Not including a recent photograph
          • Not following the fingerprint instructions
            • Cards must be legible and complete
            • Fees must be paid with money order, not personal check
            • Information must be in black ink 
            • When using cards acquired outside of Nevada, they must have information specified in the instructions for completion of fingerprint cards
            • Use of Wite-Out is not permitted

            6. When does my license expire?

            All licenses to practice athletic training expire on June 30th each year, regardless of the date they were issued.

              7. Does having a license affect third party billing?

              The purpose of the license is to protect the public. That being said, most third party insurance payers will not reimburse for health care services unless those services are provided by a licensed Health Care Provider.

                8. How should a Licensed Athletic Trainer identify themselves once they are licensed?

                As a Licensed Athletic Trainer you must signify that you are such by listing your credentials as follows: John Doe, LAT, ATC. For Athletic Trainers that have multiple licenses and/or degrees, the BOC website has a helpful section, Listing My Credentials, that can be found under AT Resources.